» About Dr. A. S. Soin
» Teaching Experience
Dr. A.S. Soin Teaching Experience
- Undergraduate, postgraduate and nursing teaching since 1990.
- Surgical tutor for revision courses for final year medical students of the University of Cambridge from 1994-98.
Tutor on the Royal College of Surgeons of England courses on Basic Surgical Skills and Laparoscopic Surgery, held by Mr. DC Dunn at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, and on the Faculty of the Addenbrroke’s NHS Trust Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy courses from 1995 to 1998.
- Taught as Faculty of Surgical Specialties at the IMA (Indian Medical Association) Course for Postgraduates, IMA House, New Delhi. Jan-March 2001.
- Faculty and Surgical Tutor for DNB Fellowship for Surgical Gastroenterology (Hepato-pancreatico-biliary and Liver Transplant Surgery) at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi, India from April 2001 till date.
- On the Faculty panel for the Royal College of Edinburgh Basic Surgical Skills course
- On the UK (Intercollegiate) panel of Examiners for the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh MRCS exam since 2004.
- Conduct regular teaching sessions for Diplomate National Board (post PG specialization course) in Surgical Gastroenterology and Liver Transplantation students since 2001.
- Have started India’s first Fellowship programme in Liver Transplantation
To impart more formal and specialized training in Liver Transplantation to qualified gastrointestinal surgeons, we have started a 1 year Training Fellowship Programme and have applied for accreditation by the National Board of Examinations.
Liver Surgical Workshops conducted
Supervisor for thesis/research projects
- Conducted a live demonstration workshop on Laparoscopic Donor Nephrectomy in Amritsar, India, in May 2001.
- Organized and moderated the “International workshop on Laparoscopic Donor Nephrectomy” on 2 March 2002, as a part of the 7th Congress of the Asian Society of Organ Transplantation held at New Delhi on 2-6 March 2002.
- Conducted (as Chief Faculty) liver surgery workshop at the Masood Hospital, Lahore, 18th March 2004.
- Participated as Faculty in live donor liver transplant workshop at Ege University, Izmir, Turkey on May 26th, 2004.
- Faculty: one of the 5 expert Faculty members invited from across the world to conduct the II International Liver Transplant Workshop at Antalya, Turkey, September 2007.
Currently supervising the following
- Quality of life after live donor partial liver donation for liver transplantation
- Invasive fungal infections in immunocompromised hosts
- Triphasic spiral CT scan in preoperative assessment of living donors for liver transplantation.
Liver Transplant Fellowship projects
- PhD thesis
T-cell and cytokine profiling as markers of immune responsiveness/ tolerance in living donor liver transplant recipients
- Hilar vascular and biliary anatomy based on observations on 400 living liver donors
- A new scoring system to predict patient and graft survival after living donor liver transplantation
Supervisor for thesis/research projects
2002, Organizing member, and Secretary, Scientific Committee for Liver Transplant
- 1. The use of Molecular markers in detection of micro metastases in hepatocellular carcinoma.
- An International (centres from 5 different countries) multicentre study on “Geographic variations in hepatic venous outflow drainage in donor livers on preoperative triphasic MD-CT imaging.”
- Recovery of thrombocytopenia after liver transplantation: time needed, factors governing and clinical significance.
- Peri-operative factors in long-term physical and psychological well being after donor hepatectomy.
- Perioperative factors associated with biliary complications in living donor liver transplantation.
- Non-myeloablative approaches to donor-specific immune tolerance after living donor liver transplantation using i) donor stem cell (hematopoetic cell transplant) infusion, and ii) lymphocyte depletion.
7th Congress of the Asian Society of Organ Transplantation (CAST) at New Delhi, March 2002, and In charge of the Scientific Committee for the Liver Transplant Programme in the above meeting
2006, Co-Chairperson, Organizing Committee
India’s First International Update on Adult Live Donor Liver Transplantation, 20 August 2006. India Habitat Centre, New Delhi
2008, Organising Chairman
for the LICAGE International Symposium on Perioperative care in Liver Transplantation held at New Delhi from 7-9 November 2008.
Organised India’s First National Consensus Symposium
on “Liver Transplantation and Cadaveric Organ Donation”
held in New Delhi on 2 Feb 2003
Co-Chairperson, Organising Committee, for the mid-term meeting on “Liver Transplantation”, Indian Association of the Study of Liver
, to be held in New Delhi, October 2006.
Dr. A.S. Soin memberships of professional bodies
- Life member of Association of Surgeons of India
- British Transplantation Society
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Indian Society of Organ Transplantation
- Indian Society of Gastroenterology
- Indian Association of Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Indian Society of Nephrology
- Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology
- Asian Society of Organ Transplantation
- International Society of Liver Transplantation
- Founder Member and Trustee of the Human Organ Procurement and Education (HOPE) Trust