» About Dr. A. S. Soin
» Milestones Achieved In
Milestones in liver transplantation in India achieved by Dr A.S. Soin
In the field of Transplantation, Dr Soin has the following firsts to his credit:
- First successful cadaveric liver transplant in India - 1998
- First successful live donor left lobe liver transplant in India - 1999
- First successful live donor right lobe liver transplant in India - 2000
- First successful combined liver and kidney transplant (cadaver) in India - 1999
- First successful reduced cadaveric liver transplant in a child - 2003
- First successful transplant in India on a Pakistani patient - 2004
- First bloodless liver transplant in India - 2005
- World’s first combined liver and kidney transplant in the same patient using organs from two live donors - 2007
- India’s first successful dual lobe liver transplant – 2007
- India’s first and world’s youngest Domino liver transplant – 2009
- India’s first (and the world’s first reported) successful swap liver transplant – 2009
- India’s oldest recipient (78 years) of liver transplant – successful transplant in 2010
- India’s first successful Robotic live donor liver transplant - 2012
- World’s first chain of three simultaneous liver transplants (combined domino and swap) - 2012
- India’s first successful ABO-incompatible liver transplants - 2012
- India’s youngest and smallest ever recipient (4 months, 4 kg) to receive successful liver transplant - 2013.
- India’s first surgeon to complete 1000 liver transplants and 100 liver transplants in children 2011 and first to complete 1500 liver transplants in 2013
- India’s first successful Intestinal Transplant - 2013
Dr A.S. Soin's academic awards and achievements
Dr AS Soin awarded the Padma Shri in 2010 for pioneering the development of Liver Transplantation in India.
- Annual research awards of the British Transplantation Society - 1994
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Research Award - 1996
- Annual research awards of the British Transplantation Society - 1997
- Delhi Medical Association Distinguished Services Award - 2005 for pioneering contributions in the field of Transplantation in India
- Medindia Oration Award for 2008 for pioneering contributions to Liver Transplantation in India
Delivered 3 prestigious orations
- Naseem Ansari Oration at King George Medical College, Lucknow, 2007
- Medindia Oration at Chennai, 2008
- K.E.M. Mumbai, Oration, 2009
Bestowed Honorary Fellowship of the King George Medical College at the Annual Convocation in 2007.
Appointed Visiting Professor in Liver Surgery at K.E.M. Medical College and Hospital, Mumbai - in 2009.
Delivered more than 450 papers and invited lectures
all over the world in his field.